Delivering Positive Leadership through the Power of Influence
* Leadership is derived from Followership…Followers make you a leader!!!
* If you have no follower, then you can’t be a leader!
*If you are called a leader, the next question is who are your followers!!!
So what are you to do with leadership…There is only one thing God wants you to do with leadership….Positive Influence!!!
Matthew 5:13 (King James Version):
Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men.
You naturally influence….We are born to influence and be subject to influence. Every day, you influence someone and someone is influencing you.
I define Leadership as the ability or the process of giving directions to others for the purpose of achieving qualitative management of time, human, natural and financial resources. Leaders are born and made. Jesus was both. The Spirit that gave birth to Him had conferred upon Him leadership qualities. He sat at the feet of great teachers learning for years. No wonder He started ministry at the age of 30.
Everyone who has become born again by accepting Jesus into his/her is entrusted with the Spirit of Jesus. Now The Spirit of Jesus is the Spirit of Leadership. It takes ONLY a natural leader to do the things Jesus did, eg:
*Commanding people He hardly knew to leave their profession of fishing. *Requesting His disciples to do seemingly “foolish” things (Fetching money from the mouth of a fish.
*Getting a donkey that does not belong to Him. Walking on the waters …etc)
When a Child of God receives the Spirit of Christ (at conversion or baptismal of the Holy Ghost) the Spirit of leadership in him/her begins to find space for expression. When the disciples went out, they came back rejoicing that the same things Jesus did is what they are doing!
This is not limited to the church/ministry. Everywhere he/she goes, the leadership traits/spirit begs for expression. This is why it becomes necessary to give allowance to every child of God to express his/her leadership spirit in one area of ministry/vision within the church.
Unfortunately, the church does not even have enough room to contain all of the leadership spirit and traits endowed in a Child of God. Thus, there is need to encourage leadership for children of God outside the four walls of the church in the place of politics, business, traditional ruler-ship, media/entertainment, education, military and security apparatus etc.
Failure to do this is one of the reasons why there are unnecessary strives and crisis within the church/ministry. A child of God who has not find enough expression for his/her leadership spirit within a particular denomination and is not encouraged to find such expression in the market place/secular world may soon begin to hear voices encouraging him/her to go start his/her independent ministry even when The Lord has not spoken.
God never called him/her but the spirit of Jesus/leadership in him/her begging for fulfillment and expression is at work! This is rampant in our days!
So a child of God can find fulfillment in the market place/secular world ? Yes. Not everyone will be Pastors, Evangelists, Prophets, Apostles etc.
What stops a State Governor from being an usher in his church. The Spirit of leadership him gets expression in The Governor’s Office while he gets fulfillment of serving The LORD as an usher in his church. Many a times, we make a mistake by rushing to ordain such people as Pastors/Evangelists, thus we give a wrong impression that to be a leader, you must be a Pastor !
* You are a leader to solve problems !!!
* Followers will stick to you for the problems you have solved !
– Not the theories you have postulated
– Not the criticisms of others you have made
– Not the explanations of failures
*Leadership is all about identifying problems and solving them !!!
May you be a solution to problems !!!
WHAT TO KNOW ABOUT YOUR FOLLOWERS
1. They have spiritual needs: Minister to their Spirit Man.
2. They have physical needs: Don’t shy away from their physical needs.
3. They have emotional needs: Help them to overcome emotional problems
HOW TO BE A POSITIVE INFLUENCE VIA LEADERSHIP:
1. STAY IN TOUCH WITH YOUR MAKER: If the ways of a man please The Lord, He will make even his enemies to be at peace with him! Prov 16:7.You cannot influence human beings that you did not create if you have not been in touch with their maker. The best men and women around the world who are heroes are mostly public successes and private failures! You cannot afford to be a celebrated public success but a private failure.
- DEVELOP YOUR PASSION AND GROW: Jesus saith unto them, My meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish his work….John 4:34 People who follow you must see in you an unbridled passion for what you are asking them to do. Are you willing to give it all it takes for the vision? You cannot impact into your followers what you do not possess. Howbeit, as the disciples stood round about him, he rose up, and came into the city: and the next day he departed with Barnabas to Derbe. Acts 14:20 Determine to live for a purpose and not just to make money, build houses, buy cars and die! Leaders work to learn, followers work to earn.
- KNOW YOUR SHEEP: Jesus said, “I know my sheep and my sheep knows me” Can you say same about your followers. Do you really know them? The disciples of Jesus were so different, yet he managed them. Don’t compare your followers or members.
4. KNOW YOU HAVE A LIMITED TIME TO SPEND: The seconds are rolling into minutes, hours, days, months, years…you are going!!! We left the schools just like yesterday! Begin to replace yourself. Do more of creative thinking than wishful thinking!!! Jesus said: I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work. John 9:4
5. RAISE PEOPLE EXPECTING THEM TO BE BETTER THAN YOU: It is not difficult to raise others, but deeply wishing that they be better is scarce. Do it. Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father. John 14:12. Raise people with an expectation that they will get better than you are! One of the greatest tragedies of Africa is that we had self-centred ancestors who would rather die with their knowledge than release it! Africa is paying for that today. Whatever you know, teach others and move on to receive more. Leaders don’t compete they aspire!
6. BE A BURDEN BEARER: You don’t have to be rich to bear the burden of others. Listening is key. Show interest in the vision of others and support them to birth their burdens. Empathy is an influence. You can’t solve all problems but you can show concern. Voluntary service is a virtue young people seem to be losing. Luke 10:25-37. Love your neighbor as thyself.
Life is not all about financial gains you may do some assignments that will not bring financial rewards but may bring recommendations. This is one of Africas’ greatest problems. We don’t like do free services, but we like to enjoy free services.
7. LEADERSHIP STARTS FROM THE HOME: You cannot be a good leader outside, if you are not one inside. The training of a leader starts from your relationship with your spouse, siblings, neighbors, church members etc. No wonder Timothy says “He who must be a Bishop must be the husband of one wife who is able to govern his home well “These are training grounds for eventual higher leadership positions. He that is faithful in little, much will be committed into his hands.