A twenty-year-old porridge can remain scalding hot: so let it be with the outstanding relationship between the President-Elect, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo and the National Union of Nigerian Students (NUNS).
As a flashback, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo was the Head of the Nigerian Military Dictatorship during the 1978 NUNS jihad for democratization of education (Alimungo) during which unprecedented massacre was unleashed on the Nigerian students.
Today, Nigerians look back with mixed feelings, at the present glorious expansion of education stimulated by the said 1978 national crusade. It is a victory won with cascades of tears and blood of Nigerian students.
In the interest of democracy, however, the maxim of International relations which enjoins “no permanent friend, no permanent enemy but permanent interest” may be evoked for a possible reconciliation.
In the spirit of such a possibility, the NUNS will like to extend the following six fraternal conditions to the President-Elect for a consideration.
- Express remorse and atonement for the 1978 massacre of Nigerian students.
- Purge himself of the characteristic fascism.
- Become a jihadist/crusader for democratization of education.
- De-proscribe the NUNS, compensate and rehabilitate same.
- Show evidence of genuine belief in intellectualism.
- Pursue and acquire a Nigerian University degree in any discipline.
We salute Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, for now, hoping that we may be able to congratulate him soon.
Without prejudice, may the kingdom of education continue to expand.
CHIEF OLUSEGUN OKEOWO (DR)
NATIONAL UNION OF NIGERIAN STUDENTS (NUNS)
SAGAMU: FRIDAY 7TH MAY 1999.